Did you know people normally shed between 50 and 100 hairs per day! Because new hair grows in at about the same rate, it is hardly noticed. However, when this pattern of hair loss and growth is altered, the loss is very apparent. Hair loss may be attributed to hormonal changes induced by pregnancy, menopause, thyroid problems, and even stress. It may also be caused by medical conditions such as scalp infections, skin disorders, lupus, diabetes, or the autoimmune disorder, alopecia areata. Medications or treatments for cancer, arthritis, depression, heart problems, high blood pressure, birth control, or even too much vitamin A can cause hair loss. Poor nutrition from bad eating habits has been linked to hair loss. Physical or emotional shocks such as surgery, excessive weight loss, birth of a child, high fever, or a death in the family also have the potential to cause hair loss. Although age is a risk factor for hair loss, family history is the greatest predictor of the hereditary condition called male-pattern or female-pattern baldness.
- Prescription level treatments include Minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride (Propecia). The latter is only available for men. Both drugs have significant side effects. Minoxidil must be administered under close supervision, usually along with a beta-adrenergic blocking agent to prevent abnormally rapid heart rates and increased workload to the heart muscle. It must also usually be given with a diuretic to prevent serious fluid accumulation. Success rates vary for each product and treatment must be continued to retain effects.
- Hair transplant surgery is another option. During this procedure, the surgeon removes tiny plugs of skin, each containing a few hairs, from the back or sides of your scalp and implants the plugs into the bald areas of your scalp. You may be required to take a hair loss medication before and after surgery to improve results. This method is very painful, costly, and presents the risks of scarring and infection.
- ReviTeaLize® Hair Thickening Shampoo and ReviTeaLize® Conditioner with Lavendar Oil-Unique formulation of highly effective botanical extracts and green tea has resulted in a tremendously effective shampoo to combat excessive hair loss. This product contains powerful antioxidants and plant extracts designed to make the cells that produce hair healthier. ReviTeaLize’s formula of natural plant compounds rejuvenates hair follicle cells damaged from oxidative stress, chemotherapy, medication, diet and hormone level changes. It is free from sulfates, non-toxic, and is a very economical option for addressing hair loss.
ReviTeaLize Hair Thickening Shampoo contains powerful antioxidants and plant extracts designed to make the cells that produce hair healthier. ReviTeaLize’s formula of natural plant compounds rejuvenates hair follicle cells damaged from oxidative stress, chemotherapy, medication, diet and hormone level changes. Best of all – it is free from sulfates, drying salt, and is non-toxic!
- Irritated, oily skin/seborrheic dermatitis. This condition is marked by red, greasy skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales. Seborrheic dermatitis may affect your scalp, eyebrows, the sides of your nose and the backs of your ears, and other areas.
- Not shampooing enough. If you don’t regularly wash your hair, oils and skin cells from your scalp can build up, causing dandruff.
- A yeast like fungus, Malassezia. This fungus lives on the scalps of most people and can irritate the scalp, causing more skin cells to grow. The extra skin cells die and fall off, making them appear white and flaky in your hair or on your clothes.
- Dry skin. Flakes from dry skin separate from the scalp and present the white flakes on the scalp and shoulders.
- Sensitivity to hair products/contact dermatitis. Sometimes sensitivities to certain ingredients in hair care products or hair dyes can cause an itchy, scaly scalp.
- Male Hormones/Being male. Because more men have dandruff, some researchers think male hormones may play a role.
- Certain illnesses. Individuals with neurological diseases, such as Parkinson’s, are more likely to develop seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. So are people with HIV infection, or those who have compromised immune systems from other conditions.
- white, oily-looking flakes of dead skin found in your hair or on your shoulders
- itchy, scaly scalp
Dandruff shampoos are classified according to the medication they contain:
- Tar-based shampoos – Coal tar, a byproduct of the coal manufacturing process, helps conditions such as dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. It slows how quickly skin cells on your scalp die and flake off. If you have light-colored hair, this type of shampoo may cause discoloration.
****Coal tar is a known to cause cancer.
- Pyrithione zinc shampoos – These contain the antibacterial and antifungal agent zinc pyrithione. This type of shampoo can reduce the fungus on your scalp that can cause dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. ****Some medical conditions may interact with pyrithione zinc shampoo. These are not recommended if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding; if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement; if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances; if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body
- Shampoos containing salicylic acid – These “scalp scrubs” help eliminate scale, some may leave your scalp dry, leading to more flaking. ReviTeaLize Anti-Dandruff shampoo utilizes the patented green tea technology in formulation with salicylic acid, yet does not leave your scalp feeling dry.
- Selenium sulfide shampoos- These shampoos slow your skin cells from dying and may also reduce yeast like fungus, malassezia. They can discolor blond, gray or chemically colored hair. Breathing Selenium Sulfide can irritate the nose and throat. High exposure may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, garlic odor of the breath, metallic taste and coated tongue. ****Selenium Sulfide may be a CARCINOGEN in humans since it has been shown to cause liver and lung cancer in animals.
- Ketoconazole shampoos – Ketoconazole is a broad-spectrum antifungal agent. It’s known to have the following side effects: mild skin itching or irritation, dry skin, abnormal hair texture, scalp pustules, oiliness and dryness of hair and scalp, rash, hives, application site reactions, and headaches.
Most anti-dandruff shampoos treat only symptoms, but not the main causes of dandruff. When you stop using anti-dandruff shampoo for a quite number of days, your dandruff symptoms will most likely return. Even more worrisome, these other shampoos often utilize toxic ingredients like coal tar or Pyrithione zinc. ReviTeaLize Anti-dandruff shampoo is not like most other shampoos. It’s unique green tea patented formulation is FREE from coal tar, sulfate, sulfur or other toxins. ReviTeaLize shampoo literally goes to the root of the problem by penetrating the skin’s waterproof barrier, allowing the green tea antioxidants to combat excessive cell growth, oxidative stress, and inflammation, the main causes of dandruff. Green tea polyphenols promote the skin’s metabolic equilibrium, shield against autoimmune diseases and provide antioxidant, microbial, anti-cancer and anti-inflammation properties. The patented Lipadan technology makes this all work.